Poetry

Tuesday 21 April 2020

Knocking off early, kicking off late


Knocking off early, kicking off late
Man’s work kind of girly, standing at the pearly gates
Its not as if I’m nearly laying in state
But knocking off early, kicking off late

Just a drop of your liquor will keep me up to date
With the loving times of late
I’ve missed it in the newspapers
Reading about the muse
Who’s always accused of starting a spate
She’s been killing her lovers
With bows and arrows
Letting fly near the fire
They’ve been falling from the sky
Dropping like flies
Like Icarus they couldn’t get any higher

Oh just give me a drop of your sweet honey nectar
Just enough for a bee
Don’t worry my flower, I ain’t gonna sting yer
Least not anyway now
Oh knocking off early and kicking off late
Clocking in the tower out of date
Its way past the hour, I should have lost this power
But Cinderella she is dancing so great

The workers in the road
Are lifting man covers
They are pulling up lovers
From the drains
They’re shifting the stones
And covering old bones
Of contention and of hate
Well they’re burying the hatchet
And letting the hammer fall
They’re keeping me awake with the drilling in the wall
But you have to watch it
In case they make a mistake
And Open up the gate
Knocking off early, and kicking off late
I’m trying to find the pearly gate
Seeing its nearly time to make the call
To St Peter before its too late

No comments:

Post a Comment