Poetry

Thursday 2 April 2020

COVID 16 - The dead body

I'm one of the departed
I lay here on this trolley
They've brought me down here to the Morgue
They are treating me so carefully
Nobody is coming near me
I want to cry out what are you all waiting for

Of course I'm not really in there, its just a shell
Just a carcass
But I got used to my dimensions
Now I'm ten feet off the floor
I can't seem to leave, something is keeping me anchored
I think I need my family to release me

But when I see them coming through the swinging door
My daughter is there crying
She reaches out, but staff are pulling her back
They implore
Her to restrain her feelings, her need to touch my face
To kiss me and say good bye to her mummy
And my husband is there sobbing, he's trying
To stay strong for her, But I can see his eyes breaking
And his face is imploding in the shock of devastation

I just wish we had some warning, it seemed to come out of nowhere
I mean the neighbour hood we live in isn't very poor,
But still I have this spirit sense that its the same around
The world
In the slums people are dying, there is no place for a family's crying
They are quickly burning the body behind a cast iron door

And I know there will be no funeral for me,
Too many bodies
The risk of infection is too great
They may take me outside the city limits
To a make shift crematorium
To a charnel house of the infected departed
No one is allowed to visit or to mourn

We will be the lost generation
Gone before our time was called
It was not right
But was it asked for?
Did we deserve this? No as individuals it makes no sense
But as a society I want to ask
I want to ask God even more
But I shan't be able to leave
Until my family let me go
One touch will be enough my love
But ah I know...

No comments:

Post a Comment