Poetry

Thursday 2 April 2020

COVID 15 - The Worker

I'm a worker,
They've closed the factory
I went in this morning
And the shift ended at three
I have a zero hour contract
Nothing for me to do
You get nothing for nothing
No lunch is free
I wonder what I'm going to say to my wfe when I get home
Honey I lost job, well will I end up on my own
And I have a family to support
Yes Universal credit, well its fine if you can get it
It take six weeks just to get it
And I have mouths to feed
You don't by on nothing
Nothing but poverty
That is looking at an empty fridge
And having kids screaming for their tea

You know I never thought it was much
This job down rows and rows
Stcks and stacks of shoes
Convey belts endless days, abuse
But there were my colleagues
And we had a laugh
I donno what half of them will be doing now
Oh sure there were the lucky ones the full timers
The crows, the ones who cling on until retirement
This factory floor is all they know
But you know it ain't simple
And you know it ain't fair
Nobody has been offering full time contracts for years over there
There is always cheaper workers
They can bring in from abroad
Or if not that then it will be the robots
Who can man the factory floor

Man - man -what a word
I don't feel like a man anymore
You take away his work what is he good for?
You take away his chance to earn, keep his dignity
It should be against the law
But they're making these amendments, special measures
Passing bills, they are taking away our life blood our right
To live is what they kill
It isn't in the spirit of the constitution
To say a man ain't allowed to work
To provide for the family institution
It isn't like the unions have any power anymore
But still we have to fight for our right
Before they kick shut the door

The power ain't with the worker
It's with the man in power
It's with the managers and fat controllers of operations
The worker is dysfunctional, he has feelings that aren't logical
And a robot can do his job faster with no complaining at all
I worry for the future even when this all blows over, how many factories and warehouses will
Realise they can't rely on human labour and will install
Instead the mechanical slave time savers
Then when we go back it will be on the unemployment lines
For sure

No comments:

Post a Comment