Poetry

Sunday 26 April 2020

Romeo at stake

Re-write Romeo and Juliet set in Coronavirus times

What would you say to Romeo if he asked you to go out
When you were on your balcony
But you couldn't go, you had to shout:

Romeo, Romeo where is your mask?

-I sold it, I forgot it, oh why do you ask?

Well I would never kiss a one such as you
Who might give me the plague
With his tongue turned blue

-Oh don't be silly child
This plague is but a trifle
Just a little cold, nothing to stifle
Our love affair of two hearts such as ours
Which are lions of passion and Art writ large

Now I don't want to be the first one to call
For tolerance and temperance
But the writing's on the wall
You should not even be out on the streets this late
Its way past the curfew nevermind love nor hate

-Oh my lady of largess, who commands my heart
Set my fleets rolling, you know they do start
And now you wish to turn them away
At your window bay, let them in your harbour
My good seamen will pay

I like not the cut of your jib, you fib, good sir
You fib, yes you fib, fib, fib
You would say you love me for my heart
But what you really want is my money
Oh you men are all alike
Show you a stocking and you come over all funny

No comments:

Post a Comment