Poetry

Sunday 26 April 2020

The call of the wild

They say that time's a healer
And that you will walk in liberty
But I know I cannot hear ya
quite so perfectly

As I wallow in the swamps
And the lowlands of the free
The high hills and the humps
Show me the way to the sea

Oh why can't you hold your horses
Or rein in the deer from the field
I'll be with you down river courses
You will hear the call of the wild

So perfectly

So perfectly

Each Salmon swims up river
Back to the place they were born
Well I was born in that small town
Where the wind blows over the corn

And I hear my name called aloud
I can hear the mission bells
For all those fighting in the sounds
Like an echo down distant well

And I come back like an animal
All instinct, imperfectly
Don't go home like a child
When you hear the call of the wild

So perfectly

So perfectly

No comments:

Post a Comment