Poetry

Thursday 2 April 2020

COVID 18- The Lorry Driver

I am in haulage
Lorries, lorries
Just in time
My wife tells me I'm a hero
I hardly ever see her
I named my truck after her
That was in the old days

When trucks were allowed to be named after ladies

Nowadays we hit the road
And never return
We can be gone for weeks
Not just days
Driving over deserts, along ravines
Through Marco Polo's Silk Road
If you know what I mean

This is big business man
The world is getting small
Faster, smarter
There is no let up at all

We are all racing like machines after the foot fall
Of the customers who keep going in the shops demanding what they've seen
On you tube, or TV
I want, I want, I want more and more
We in deliveries have to take em all
Ship them
You've got your TV's from China,
Your Spices from Turkey
Your Fresh Pasta from Italy
Fish from New Zealand
Clothes from Taiwan or Bangladesh
Its no wonder this whole systems in a mess

But what makes me laugh the most
Is while everyone else is on lock down
We hauliers own the road
Its the best driving I've seen for years
Except that it until we hit country borders
Whose gonna let you through?
When you're from a hotspot, no then we're in quarantine

But the food supply must flow
Those people keep on buying, spending
Their dwindling savings
Buying up more food than they will ever eat
That pushes up demand, and so now
Supermarkets have the upper hand
They need this stuff
They can't let the customers down

So even now
It is more, more more
No one ever learns their lesson
The world can't cope anymore
I mean I'm glad I'm working
But let's put on the brakes
The pace is accelerating
We are making mistakes
No one is thinking about what or How
They are doing
And for sure, they never ask Why?
And Why don't we grow things in our own country anymore
Why do we want so much from elsewhere?
This Globalization nervous breakdown
Should be our wake up call

No comments:

Post a Comment