Poetry

Thursday 9 April 2020

Those soft southern hills

Well I've sought and I've plundered

I've lied and I've lamed

In the hills, in the valleys, in towns without name

In the streets of the city so pretty it kills

I left my woman behind at the foot of the hills


I've bought wheat and meat with my feet on the bills

Sought gold of all kinds in the valleys and hills

But I left behind my lady of the lake

To stake my claims was my big mistake

Well ask me one question I'll answer no lies

Was it worth it to live if the price is our lives?

And if it's for gold you will dig

Is it for gold you will die?

In the streets of the city far from the love left behind



Will you buy back your soul with all the money you earn?

Well if it's a claim that you stake

At its stake will you burn

In the streets of the city, so pretty it kills

But nothing compares to those soft southern hills

No comments:

Post a Comment