Poetry

Thursday 2 April 2020

COVID 17-The Lover

It was more than I could do
Not to fall in love with you
In the middle of a pandemic crisis
But you see you just swished your wand
And in a moment I was gone under your spell

Oh darling don't you know
I'd cross the desert for you
Sail over the Bering straits
March over bridges til it gets late
Under cover
After hours under curfew

While I am feeling blue
It's been so long since I kissed you
And I miss the touch of your flesh
The softness of your skin
The way you smile
And your bright eye like nothing
Ever bothered you

But we can't, we shan't you say
I shall, I pall, I bray
I pace the floor like a tiger in a cage
Like all heaven's in a rage
To quote a sage
I must see you now
Put down the receiver
Take a bow
And let me exit centre stage

Left,
What's left?
You refuse my calls
You refuse to use this virus as a
pause
It is a suitable cut off
An isolated situation
Perfect independence
No dependence on anyone

and I have been lying to myself again
I have been fooling myself into thinking
That the perfect world exists
This virus is just pathos
This world is bathos and chaos
And decay
From the inside
And this love is just an
Illusion of a union between two twins
Two towns that will be forever apart
Divided by a river that cuts through their heart
Like a knife
Pest on the left
Buda on the right
And this night
There is nothing
All is bereft
No bridges are working
They are down
The sirens are calling
In the wrong part of town

And I have no way back over that river

No comments:

Post a Comment