Poetry

Thursday 16 April 2020

The Advice of Chaucer

She was reeling from a fight
From a love who she'd left behind
Her bed was like a ship
That rocked across the sea

I'm eating fishes
And the bacteria
Of the wishes
That I can't control

I cry for you
I cry to the lord

I'm in a fight for my life
I've seen the early morning light
And the night cut like a knife
Through the barrels of my soul

I have a kidney of consequence
Which filters all my dreams
And empties my utopias
Into someone else's streams

And the firebrands are scoffing
At the girls without their souls
Knowing that they'll be coughin
In some fiery hell holes

And temptation takes me
Like seal that is slipped
Like a knife beneath the shoulder blades
Or a hole in the hull of my ship

There's a leak in my consciousness
Where salvation drips
Either I will drown in self-confidence
Or be buried inside some skips

Don't ask me for my blessing
You must go and choose your own way
Just be careful to avoid the ones who lose
And never work for those who don't pay

No comments:

Post a Comment