Poetry

Saturday 11 April 2020

Easter 1917

Easter in the trenches, the stenches
and the slime
I remember cooking tea
In a tin cup at the time
In the quiet of the truce
I had committed no crime
Only looking for the truth in God's plan
Searching for a brotherhood of man

Searching in the mud
In the pale sky
Searching in the face of the young man
Searching in the biscuit tin of the general
Looking into the soul of the brigadier
And across a barbed wire strewn land
For a brotherhood of man

I went across the boundary line
I went over the top
Over the parapit of hope
Pulled up the bucket of water
From the well on a rope
Staring into the depths of the Colonel's plan
For a brotherhood of man

Wading in the shore water
Running up the beaches
Looking in the crater
And the further reaches
Of the sick Lieutenant's eyes
For a brotherhood of man

Made my way up the gully
With the cannons pointing at me
Collecting the lives of those fallen down
Throwing their ashes to the sea
I called up the king and he held out his hand
Passed me the crown
I said is this the brotherhood of man?

No comments:

Post a Comment