Poetry

Saturday 28 December 2019

Why do we always want what we don't have?

She took me to the mountain
And showed me the sea
And I got in a boat and
I thought now I'm free
But suddenly the sinking
Got me swimming for the shore
Oh tell me why when we have enough
Do we always want some more?

She locked me in her loving arms
But I kept searching for the key
Just to break the spell of charms
That had enchanted me
Well why can't I steer clear of harm
And why still fight for liberty?
Tell me why when there are no alarms
Does drama always find me?

Well I walked along the winding road
To a town of poverty
Where many people armed themselves
With ignorance and greed
Just to protect the rich from
What they didn't want to see
While the poor go blind and bearfoot
Begging for charity
Tell me why when we can't bear ourselves
Don't we yet consider all men equal and free

Its the wanting in the soul
Its the need and greed
Its the empty heart with love to sell
That's not full enough to bleed
And they can kill themselves
Before all the slaves are freed
Because its always wanting more and more
Of what we don't need

No comments:

Post a Comment