Poetry

Wednesday 4 December 2019

I never thought it would happen to me

Well I've been to the bottom
And I've been to the top
And I've been forgotten
And I've been high enough to pop
But all of these things I can be
I never thought it would have happened to me

I've seen women grow weak
And men grow frail
And the voices of the meek
Call for the holy grail
But of all these things that I could see
I never thought any of them would happen to me

When I was young, it was like the world was trust
Everything new under the sun, love and lust
But now I am older the ideas begin to rust
I look over my shoulder at the empires of dust
Still all these things that once made me feel free
I never once thought it would happen to me

When she left me there on the silver aisle
I saw her swear I saw her smile
But never once did I start to conceive
The little idea that she might deceive
But that was long before I found the key
I never once thought it would have happened to me


No comments:

Post a Comment