Poetry

Tuesday 31 December 2019

Story of the man in the middle

It came upon the moral code
Of what should be done
To abode
The right from wrong
The leftist song
In the hymn book of the south

No reason in the whole wide world
A million in gold, diamonds and pearls
Just feel the plight of the poor child
Oh what has happened to me?

The one who is left on the shore
The one who kept walking
Through the open door
When he should have stepped up
To settle the score
Oh what has happened to me?!

You are so poor in spirit young man
Don't you understand the plan
There is nothing left
But to kill it and you can
Oh what has happened to me?

Its the story of the man in the middle
Who couldn't decide on the night
It was left till the morning
But he ignored the warning
Of the brewing of some kind of fight

Oh what has happened to me Mama
Am I fair, am I a man in the right?
I used to bring my judgement to bear
So easy, now its like flying a kite
I keep it up in the air
By tacking in the wind
I keep it flying by changing my mind
And each time I think I might lose then I win
All through tactics of a similar kind

Oh what has happened to me mama?
Am I the son that you would have liked?
Have I done you proud
Or stood out from the crowd?
Am I one alone or just a clone of the paths well hiked?
I've been round and round like in a circle
Like a wheel turning with light
But am I a Catherine wheel on fire
Or a ring of desire
That burns a border for what I reach for
Each night?

Oh what has become of me Mama?
Can you bring my ship back around?
Can you steer me to the clear horizon
Where no more clouds are to be found ?

No comments:

Post a Comment