Poetry

Saturday 7 December 2019

Reach out and touch the past

They say the good die young
And time flies by so fast
While the criminals in power
Never seem to let the good times last
Well I know someone in the mirror
And someone trapped in an hour glass
It just seems to me that some days
I could reach out and touch the past

I remember those times in the garden
Climbing fir trees, the smell of the pine
Or when the sap gets sticky then hardens
On your clothes and your mother
hangs them on the washing line
Well that time is so like a lake
Into which a fisherman casts
Underwater memories the fish he makes
Look so close as if
I could reach out and touch the past

Oh but what would I do if I were back there?
How would I have changed or danced
Like a captain on time's ship
I have sailed the seas, blown along
By the winds I chanced
Yet still I would have done the things I did
Still I'd nail my colours to the same mast
But just sometimes there are things I'd wish undid
If I could reach out and touch the past

No comments:

Post a Comment