Poetry

Saturday, 26 September 2026

The last pirate

 The last pirate

Never another came after

He gave up the chains 

and the stinging sun's heat

He sailed away for ten years and a day

To the land where the liver birds squawk


Is it my life, my own

I need to see the seed of change be sown

I must escape the prison island

And go for a long walk


Do I have the courage to make the leap

And swing from the rigging

From this onto another ship

Can I change ships

Should I change mid stream


My prison island is not your island

You are free not like me

The sun is salt licked like the sea

And I tasted freedom's bitter seed

Would I rather die a rock in sand

Or like the wind escape the land

And blow free of the misery within 

This my prison island 


Now we've mutinied and have escaped 

The clutches of the laws red tape 

And moral codes and wrath of grape

Let the chips fall where they may

I've lived too long in chains today 

There's only home I'm going to stay

Whether alive or dead I cannot say

It's the way of the prison island 

No comments:

Post a Comment