Poetry

Sunday, 27 September 2026

Leaving town

 you know you're meant to hold down a job

To put the jump leads to the dead dog

To afternoon an evening in a mount pleasant

vein

I can't keep saying what I was going to say

She already killed me with her eyes so vain

Hers were the windows of a house of pain

Don't be so dramatic, oh let me explain

It's all so plastic just a weather vane


The leaves of grass have grown again

Did I lose my job in the harvest grain

Did I eat my job or bury my pain

I've eaten my loss, like a moss of stain

It's human to cross the river again


Because the circus is over they've packed up and left town

And I can't shoulder the burden of feeling so down

It's all a charade of the last act of the crown

Leaving this place is tearing me a frown

Across a night of lights falling to ground

And smiles on faces for miles around


 

No comments:

Post a Comment