Poetry

Saturday, 26 September 2026

Gemstone

 All my friends are out enjoying themselves

I'm here alone looking at shelves

Of books I own, but never really read

About stories of a life well lived

With someone who has some kids

And go on adventures and really have some fun

But I'm sitting here with my meal for one


It's hard to count the reasons why

I've gone wrong and spoilt the sky

Of a beautiful painting of a sea of green

And Azure skies that go by

And I am sure I've said goodbye

To all my bad habits that I used to own

But I know the door I walk back to alone


So take me out of myself

I need to recover my diamond wealth

It's in me sparkling like a gemstone down a mine

And I'm still waiting for the train down the line


I'm looking out and I see a tsunami

A wall of water in my window

And it's growing higher and higher all the time

I know that the time will come when I must leave

And I'll try not to cry my heart on my sleeve

Because I've had all I can now from this town

And I've given to it in equal measure of my own

I don't feel afraid just a little sad to be alone

And regret nothing as long as I've lived the life I own

Every decision has to be made in mind

Of the gemstone down the mine

No comments:

Post a Comment