Poetry

Tuesday, 25 August 2026

Useless

 I don't get anything but criticism

From him

He says I'm useless

Always abuses

There's no cynicism 

from him

It's how he sees me

He only leaves me

High and dry

and cut and loose

And in the folly of the noose

I don't anything from him

But criticism


He makes me feel

Sort of undervalued

And what I have

Is not worth an nude

And I've alluded to it before

He thinks I'm useless


Can I be

Unless I push the iron door of work and worth

and like a horse I paw the ground

I'll leave my footprints there

I carry the baggage of family exposure

The luggage of history and all the composure

But really what do I have but criticism?

Yes I am useless to him


And he's useless to me

He has his own sense of priority

And his own needs beyond me

I don't think I need to bother

With another little cup of tea

In a meeting with my father

It just goes down the drain

like the sea

He says I'm useless

I say why worry?

What use is worry to me?

As the human tide of epidemics

And all the lies and cosmetics

Society is damaged

And I can't fix it on my own

But I can pick up a phone

And call a friend

It never ends

But I'm useless

and the only thing that matters

Is that I'm happy

being useless

I can't fix a pipe to save my life

Or clean a drain

Or find a wife

I can't seem to explain anything I mean

with the right words

I find it quite absurd that this should be the life of a bird

Such as I, such as I

Who just wishes to look at the sky

Who just wishes to walk in the trees

Be in nature and it's possibility

Because it's useful doing absolutely

Nothing at all

I don't want to have a great big job

and a ton of money to end up a slob

I don't see myself in futures stocks or shares

I can't even explain to you or him

How it came to be that I got thin on

breathing fresh air and just living wild

I feel that it is the time of day

When sundown hits the long highway

And the roads all claim to be leading nowhere

back home

and the sky written by the clouds

And the earth it is crying loud

Oh I'm useless, but I'm happy that way


I'm not sure what it is that they want from

Is it a new oven or a brand new telly?

Is it the modcons or the latest thing in fashion

You think I could be like someone else

And sit upon the fence or the shelf

I'm useless for the rest of my days

I don't feel much like paying money

There's the shadow of an affair and it's not very funny

I never had much cause to gripe and groan

there's always another road to walk down

There's always another stone to turn around

Another stile another hedgerow

What do you find on your long walks together?

That the world is small, we're all birds of a feather

We're all useless to each other until it matters

And What does it, yes what does it, what does it really matter?

What does it really matter anyway



 

No comments:

Post a Comment