Poetry

Friday, 14 August 2026

Lady

I woke up and found myself listening to Top of the Pops

1986, Chris De Burgh was singing

Lady in Red

I love you 

But the walls of peace are falling down

I love you, but this is such a very

very small town

I cannot say you're my lady

Because you're somebody

else's instead

I love you,

You've made me crazy

You were my lady in Red


I've never seen you looking so lovely

As you do everyday

I want to turn to you and say

You are amazing

It's hard for me to stand by

And see you with some other guy

It's like a twist in my heart

You've tortured me apart

I was your patsy

In the assassination of your past life

You needed an assassin

Someone to blame your love on

And it either was going to blow you apart

Or it was going to make more strong

Well you're a woman, that's your love song

It just turned you more into you all along

You're like a folded samurai blade

In the heat is where your strength is made

And what am I but the turner, the swordsmith

The one who loved you but can never carry you with

Him 

On your eternal motorcade

You are amazing

But I can't worship at your feet

As I suffer my defeat

Though I may have to retreat

From your campaign

You've signed the order

Brought the law forward, 

Sealed

The border

And I'm stuck in Mexico city

 on the train

going south

Over the Sierra Nevada

So I've never seen you looking so lovely

As you did that night

But you're like a mountain

Going out of sight

My lady in red

But the bumblebee's flight

Has ended now


No comments:

Post a Comment