Poetry

Sunday, 23 August 2026

laissez-faire

 The clocks have run down on the night

on the town

the train has run out of steam

And I wear a frown

But I can be clown

For a moment of fun and good cheer


would they be there 

For the heart and the hare

If their own lives

didn't allow such laissez-faire


I remember you in the grand hotel

Before the storm had swallowed us whole

You wanted the fun, but not the gun

It was just a little bit too

Silver tongued snake to tell


The taste of ashes

I've been eating ear waxes

And the lost words

In lost conversations

Everything fell in the grand hotel

That night when your

love was not mentioned

And the sanguine hearts

Who falsely proclaim

They will tear us apart

Again and again

Well I know no false start

Nor legs that remain

I going to depart 

when I've recovered my name

Yet the angels have ridden roughshod

Over the shoes you have shod

I was your running horse

But you never bet on me

Who won that race?

But the wind and the sea

I never wanted an ace

Just an eternity

But life lives at a pace

Of uncertainty

and all the colour runs from your face

In my earnesty

For in honesty there is grace

but no urgency

And sickening disgrace

Leaves its vagrancy

On the town's distaste

At my flagrancy

Can I replace her

By own agency?

I needed a manager

But did I blame the sea

For waving at me

In inconstancy

And turning up flotsam

And all this debris 



No comments:

Post a Comment