Poetry

Tuesday, 25 August 2026

I don't need her anymore

 I don't need her anymore

She was the ghost next door

I don't need her anymore

I've got the sky


I don't need to make a fly

Find out if it can die

I don't need to be that guy

Who squashes the poor


What is there anyway

But a little bit of fibre to say

I don't need her anymore

I've got my shoes


I don't need her anymore

I can walk across the floor  

over fields of corn feeling the blues

There's no tree to say goodbye to the sun as

it leaves the sky

I don't need them anymore

I've got their leaves


I've got the shadow on the hill

I've got the wind that blows so chill

I don't need her anymore I've got my guy

I've myself and he's got me

I've got his back and we are free

I don't need them anymore to lecture me

I don't need her crafty ways 

nor her knickers or her braids

I don't need them anymore, I've got me


I've got windmills turning round

Let's me know the storm has come to town

I don't need her anymore I've got the fields

And the fields are very pretty

Oh the fields are very good

I don't need her anymore, I've got me


There's the shadow on the hill of trees

So green and still

I don't need her anymore, I've got the trees

I don't need her silly games

And the way she chases flames

I don't need her anymore 

I've got me


I've got all I could wish for from the sky

But it's a bore

I don't need her anymore

I am free

I've got king arthur's cakes a burning

I've got Jerusalem's sheiks a turning

I've got India that's returning for the summer

I've got Noel Coward plays

I've got all of this charade

I don't need her anymore

I am made


I need not be so weak

And turn the other cheek

I don't need to stand and speak 

on a platform neither

It's all the sudden geek

In the keys of Melanie streak

Who strikes the vulnerable meek

I've got platters

And the powder on her cheek 

and the lines when she does speak

I don't need her anymore

I've got the ivy


I've got the storm clouds coming in

I've got the darkness before it begins

I don't need her cheeky grin

I've got the maple leaves

I don't need the high expense

Of sitting on her fence

And waiting for her to kiss me

I've been waiting there so long

That I must surely have gone wrong

And I've written many songs

About my labours


It's not easy to confess

When your life is such a mess

You have to grit your teeth and guess

What the right move will be

Do you shake your head and sigh

And look up into the sky

For the there might be a fly

who's coming over

There are ferns and there are thistles

There are green leaves and penny whistles

There are country roads that I can walk down

And I hold no man to account

For the costs will ever mount

And I am the one to blame

For all my misdeeds

But if I shamed her or me

In any way or shape that might be

I say forgive me,

Oh forgive me

I did it because I was blue

Because I wanted to be loved too

By the beauty that I saw shining before me


It was fair, but I was square

I have no care for her auburn hair

Or her eyes that that seem like dark coals

Burning for me

It was to get lost in the charm

That was her ghost

Yes she left me by the post

But she still lingers

I wondered if I was wrong

To have fallen in love with my own song

But I can't be anything but strong

While she is missing


My ever guiding star

The way she parked her car

And I thought that it was

Somehow an invite to me

I tried to send her many letters

Explaining how I would get better

by the time she cut her fetters

And fell close to me

But I'll be waiting on a dream

For that is a movie scene

And it never plays out

In this reality


There are fantasies and dreams

and causalities and streams

of consciousness that mean

You have to leave her

For it'll never do you any good

To try and be like Robinhood

And rob the rich to feed the wood

That's full of poor men


If I try to be like him

Well we know who's going to win

I have to just be like me and suffer

The consequences

We're all inside our own sweet heads

Well this is life

And we're not dead

It's just a point in time instead

While the river is still flowing




No comments:

Post a Comment