Poetry

Tuesday, 11 August 2026

It's personal

 

If I have been an arsehole

Please know it was not personal

I’ve just been feeling recently

Like a wheel spinning out of control

I’ve just let myself down

In so many ways

That I can’t keep count of the hurts

I’ve suffered and inflicted

Trying to prevent damage to my soul

I’ve got a sensitive disposition

It’s a blessing and a bind

I’d say I need a dressing every time

I speak my own mind

It’s not as if anything ever mattered to make me cajole

The good intentions I’m feeling

Always seem to lead me into trouble

I’ve tried to act holy, then I’ve acted shit

I’ve been accused of grand larceny

For the stealing of my own grit

And I’ve grit my teeth in a bubble gum way

Before I bit the dust

I was all about the time I’ve been double crossed

But trust is a rubber band you can’t stretch it too far

It’s not like a streetcar named desire

That’s a tail of a shooting star

Always disappearing on the horizon

Just out of my reach

If I can I’ll go surfing then you say life’s a beach

It’s better to be careful than to really go for gold

Everytime I tried that

I found the prize had already been sold

I’m always knocking up against barriers I find

And pretending they are entrances to a new corner of the mind

But I should have come to expect that the good just seeps away

It’s like a plane expending fuel never leaving the runway

I wish I could see you in the light that we once knew

But that was just an illusion like Cinderella’s shoe

No comments:

Post a Comment