Poetry

Thursday 23 September 2021

From the prison

looking down from the prison

I'm still waiting behind these bars

I'm still waiting inside the prison


And I see all the pennies rolling down the cobbled street

And I see the mermaids leaning up against the lamposts

And all them rough sailors telling all their lewd jokes

But the mermaids aren't listening

Looking down from the prison


In my life time I have committed no crime

Unless it was the one that took away my prime

Love is a free bird

But I don't pay it any mind

Not while I'm looking at it and listening

From inside the prison -Looking down from the prison


There are the sailors who come in on their ships

And throw salt into the wounds

Where women sway their hips

And I think of mountains when I kiss her lips

And I lie in valleys when she touches finger tips

But I can't be doing with gems glistening

Not from my home inside the prison


Yes I got your letter yesterday

And I wrote you one too

Just like the monkey from inside the zoo

I here that you're doing well

I am too, just a little bizarre behind these steel bars

Looking down from the prison

No comments:

Post a Comment