Poetry

Thursday 23 September 2021

Forty something

 Forty something

Forty something

It could be forty and one,

It could be forty and two

I'm forty something

It could forty and one day

It could be forty three

I'm forty something

I'm in my forties


I think I meant that you were better

When you were younger

But actually I think now

That you were worse

You are getting better like a wine

Something about the vintage is fine


There's a delicacy about being forty

It gives you an edge

Like a cut hedge

Until you are forty one

And then your edge has gone

It comes back at forty two

When you get an edge on your shoe

Because you bought a better one

Than the one before


All you are are your shoes

By the time you are sixty

There is very little else left to give you an edge

You are too round by that time

And then you must buy a hat

And perhaps a jacket after that


Then when you are sixty two

You will need a walking cane

A new brain, and a bus pass

But you are in your forties

You are forty something

And you do not need to think about that yet

It is not part of the furniture of your life


Grow a beard when you are forty five

And shave it off the next day


No comments:

Post a Comment