Poetry

Thursday 2 November 2023

All alone in the Ark

 Where is that Angel tonight

I'm praying with all of my might


The begging woman in the car park

Getting change for a space, making space for change

The junky walks across the graveyard

And pain swings low down in his chariot


You are hurting me

He says

You are hurting me

As you touch my face

And the dark eyed loser 

retraces his steps

All alone in Noah's Ark

All alone in the park

All alone in the dark


As the animals play

In the forests of the world

And the cuckoo calls

From the olive tree

And I am like a dove

With my mouth full of dry branches

The night flashes

And the thunder crashes

And the fishes play with the sharks

The horses neigh, and the chickens lay

And Noah is all alone in the Ark


Oh you can hear the world turning

And see the ships on the sea

You can find out all that you're learning

Should be no kind of big mystery

But the cuckoo still calls in the tree

And the dogs run free in the park

As junkies are stoned, and Noah's still alone

Yes he's still all alone in his Ark


And am I an animal

He says

Is my soul a hole in the dark

Do I shun the contact

Who will light the spark?

Is my soul an animal

Away from human hark

Have I become the pairless bird

Who stands aboard the Ark?

No comments:

Post a Comment