Poetry

Saturday 11 November 2023

The voice from the Tower

 I had a hurt that came to me

It came like a roaring flower

It spoke of love's inconstancy

It spoke of love's great power


It let the yelp of timeless plea

That fall like the passing hour

No I said stop in your tracks

Don't fight in the burning tower


More shall calm the raging sea

More shall charge than cower

For hearts are bold on the aging quay

That waits like the rocks turned sour


And salt and kelp flow in my mouth

My eyes they see sea foam

Caught between the north and south

No direction have I home


The love that was strong did turn the key

To unlock the door of the prison

And I saw the prisoner mad to be free

And let him have his freedom


Oh I spent ten years a wandering on

Where the voice of life grew faint

And I heard my heart that called me on

To the canvass I should paint


And love like a lion did roar on

Down the darkened ruins of time

I leant upon the turnstile gate

And drifted to the tower 

No comments:

Post a Comment