Poetry

Wednesday 24 February 2021

Farewell to the Ghosts

 Farewell to the Ghosts

Whoever I have loved

Well I was caught dreaming

Sleeping through this life

Death catches up with us whether we like it or not

But farewell to the Ghosts

To all those I have loved


Farewell to the Ghosts

Whomever I have loved 

They who left me dreaming

In this life's swaying sea

On a lullaby so seeming

The eye of all beauty

We cannot hold on to all that we have loved

But we must let go

So farewell the ghosts that I have loved


Farewell to the Ghosts

Whomever I have loved

And they who loved me

May they fly safe above

And never return except to say to me

Don't spend your life dreaming in lost memory

For life it is for living, so take up your hat

Say farewell to all those ghosts

And move on after that


Who knows where it may get us boys

Who knows where the wind will blow

Through tropical islands

Or through cold winter snow

Farewell to the dreaming of this lives dreams

Farewell to hopes dashed like waves upon the shore

Farewell to those things lost to memory


And if I should meet the ghosts of my ancestry

I hope to say farewell to them

In the glory of the moment

When the sun goes down


Farewell to the Ghosts

Of my neighbourhood

All those faces of my childhood

I wish them on fondly into the afterlife

And hope they'll be there waiting when I die


So I say adieu, not farewell,

I say au revoir until our cages have been opened

And out we will fly

Up to join the spirits of those who live in the sky

Farewell to all the ghosts

To them I say good bye


No comments:

Post a Comment