Poetry

Tuesday 3 September 2019

Clocking off

Catch the two o'clock train
The station stands but we are walking
It will be back again
No stalking
Like a tiger in the long grass
Marauding passersby
Passengers
The tiger of time watching
Each second like a tigers tooth biting
Each minute like a claw, clawing
Each hour like a jaw on bone gnawing
Rolling us over and over, skin flail, caterwauling

Hear time stops
In a relative way at the station
Mr light beam gets off
Several decade before Mrs Sound barrier
Breaks shore in her steamer
Though her waves continue to ripple on the water
Mr light beam has left his particles to scatter

And in a quantum cafe the waitress
Is trying to untangle her reality
She's stirring the protons and neutrons together
In an atomic latte
Mixing in electrons
And a scattering of gluons
She tops it off
With a smattering of quarks

And just when she is serving it to
Mr Schrödinger in a hat
Who keeps appearing and disappearing
At the table over her shoulder
Asking for more milk
For his cat

Time's gravitational wormhole
Opens up to an alternative reality
Where many parallel waitresses
Are having similar experiences
But in a way that would make you
Question their validity

And I sit there sipping my coffee
Thinking of all the pieces
That fit together
Because they have to
Fall apart because
They want that
And I look at my watch
And realize my train
Will soon depart
I return the time piece
To my breast pocket
And it ticks a little
out of time
Above the beating
Of my heart

I digress, and I should
As life is a digression
Or is it a regression
Into an infinity of mirrored doors
Never mind, behind one
A prize surely awaits
And we are all winners
In the cosmic game show
Known as reality
And here is your host
Mr Reality TV

No comments:

Post a Comment