Poetry

Tuesday 3 September 2019

On times past

I must be guilty of something
To be up at this hour
Like stealing the silver ware
Or stealing from the Gods
Their fire power
I must be
So bind me in irons
Leave me in dungeons of despair
I have no hope of a better tomorrow
Each passion is like a cage
Of care

Each love is like a tide in the dawning of the moon
Swallowed by a whale
I'll sail back to you soon
But not before Jonah
Has done God!s bidding
Not before the guests have been
Welcomed to our wedding

There was a time like a memory of a lane
Like an autumnal sequence
Where brown leaves fall like rain
And they feel so real
Wet with laughter
Drenched in pain
In the innocence of belonging
To that time again

I cast down my manhood
Lost in memory
I am running through the fields
Of a childhood fantasy
And it all seems so close
It is so hard to bear
That such love as these were
Our rights as children
Have everywhere

Mine were no different, though luckier than many
To be growing up in the countryside
Needing little more than a penny
Nothing to live or die for
Just the being in its essence
That was the quintessential part
Of its innocence

If I come back from that long stupor
That reverie of a time long past
Now my eyes are wet

My heart weaker
But to forget
Is only temporary
Like a kind of sleep
When perhaps where a person
Really lives
Is in his memory

No comments:

Post a Comment