Poetry

Monday 2 September 2019

I know I've seen your face before

I've seen your face some place before
In some theatre maybe or city store
No now I remember you stood at my door
I knew I'd see your face before

I've seen your face some place before
You've got the kind I'd remember
Like a mocking bird
Calling out your name to me
But its something I ignored
I knew I'd seen your face before

I've seen your face some place before
Was it on a poster for ghosts
Was it nailed to a wanted post
Did it set ships a sail to Greece's shore?
I knew I'd see your face before

Was it in Paris?
Was it in Spring?
Now you seem embarrassed
Oh dear was it a fling?
Did we love in the moonlight
Under the Cyprus trees did we sing?
Oh tell, me tell me who you are?

When something reminds me
But I know not of who
Like the lip of a sandal
That a dog might chew
Like some piece of rag
That one discards
I'm trying to remember but it seems so hard
You're on the tip of my tongue
You're a vision out of place
Like on the edge of the horizon
The dawn of your bright face
But I have not the hands
To hold your burning sun
The stars are so myriad
Like out of a million you're the one

Just lay your lines down
Like experience in the sand
Draw up the ground water
From the depths of memories found
Some twinkle in your eye
Reminds me of someone I knew
But am I the one you found
Or did I find you?

Memories fade, they fall in the parade
But I want to remember you
I won't let you fall into shade
Now the sun has shone upon all that you've done
I can see it in your eyes
You've still got things to come
I can trace in your smile
The hard work of the Nile
That runs beneath the surface of your skin
Just tell me is your style
In your heart or your guile
Now tell me are you sure?
I knew I'd seen your face before



No comments:

Post a Comment