Poetry

Thursday 12 September 2019

Love's hide and seek

It should have been obvious
I should have cried
This love's an impostor
It cannot be denied
But did I turn and face the turning of the tide?
Of course I didn't
Truth hater
From her I run and hide

The cloak and dagger
Subterfuge
In the dead of night
The knife beneath the covers
That she slips into your side
Some where between the ribs
Just where the heart lies
Some spreading of the chest
That prises it wide

How I did not realize this when I was asleep
It must have been in a dream I missed
Or smuggled in a kiss
But it was carefully packaged
All the loose ends had been tied
But did I turn and face her
No of course I run and hide

There is a certain stealing
I am loathe to do
Steal the heart while undercover
But of course you pull me through
The black night of my shame
My guilt at having lied
But did I even name her
No, of course I run and hide

There will soon be no place
Where I can conceal my face
There soon will be no alley
Down which have not turned
Can there be a cross
I have not born or a prize
I have not sacrificed
Just the rag I have not burned
Which I hold over my eyes
But did I try to tame her
Of course I have not tried
It is just a game to her
In which I run and hide

No comments:

Post a Comment