Poetry

Sunday 16 May 2021

Without a shadow of a doubt

 Without a shadow of a doubt

I knew, there and then

That you had me,

Like a rabbit in your head lights I was trapped

And as you came down upon me

Well I thought now this film is wrapped

When I saw you baby

With the blue light in your hair

And the moon dust, which you had brought for me

To touch but I didn't dare

Well then yes I saw your statue, And I lay down

In your shade

And I knew without a shadow of a doubt

That for your love was I made


I knew in the evening of torment

And in the final bow of violins

That my love for you was gurgling up

Like a fresh water from a spring

And I had you in my picture frame

I had you in the hall

Where all those brave, burley men with names

That in the night you like to call

And I was afraid

Of losing this one jewel, I had stole

But I knew without a shadow of a doubt

It was you who touched my soul


If you talk to me baby of suits

And cards that shout

Oh I will break them in two baby

For you knew

Without a shadow of a doubt

That love like a king, came in and ruled the game

And we were all looking to him

When we forgot even our own names

And it could have been Lord Jim, or Tim,

Or even James

But All those saints they sang their hymns

While love shouldered the blame


But, no I knew you baby

I knew within, this feeling

Like the time when the table shook

And I remember the face of the thief

In the mugshot, and the picture of all that he took

And I would chase him for you honey

Across the states, or the whole universe

But he'd just escape again my clutches

Like he did at first

And was it not you who said to me

That I was worse, but take back

All those things you said and write them in reverse

Because what I meant I gave you already,

Now you want to give them back it hurts

And I knew without a shadow of a doubt

That this love will be my curse 

No comments:

Post a Comment