Poetry

Saturday 15 May 2021

Pipe song

 I sat down to light a pipe

Struck a match for to get my light

looked to my left and I looked to my right

Saw a man sitting there as still as the night


I said hey there who are you?

Are you a ferret or are you a shrew

Hey now who are you?

Are you a stork or a cork screw?


And I lit my pipe, I lit a match

I smoked the leaf and there was the catch

The smoke swirled around, around my head

And I saw this man and I thought he was dead


He leant so still against the wood

The panel outside I knew that he should

Hide away from the world, dressed up there like a bird

Well I lit my pipe and I thought how absurd


Hey now who can you be? Are you a shrew or are you a tree?

Hey now who can you be? I thought he was a stork stalking me


I stood up quick and looked around

The lake was slick like a grey hound

And the oily waters did surround

But he was hunched on low quarters to the ground


I said hey now who can you be? 

Are you a man or are you a tree

Hey now who can you be? The man in the moon

looking down on me


Well the birds lay around in the pond

And in the fields lay the pearly swans

Just swaning around singing their song

Doing what they do all day long


They said hey now who can you be

Are you a man or are you a tree

Sitting on the ground acting so free

While the Earth turns on regardless of thee


I stood up to look around

The boiling waters stood their ground

I said oh now who's that man

Lookin on me from the ground

Hey now who can that be standing in the moon

lookin at me?

Hey it is a plane or tree who's that man lookin at me

Hey now who can that be

Lookin in the tree lookin in the sea

Hey there who can that be standing there waiting

Lookin at me?


No comments:

Post a Comment