Poetry

Wednesday 23 September 2020

The Queen of the Aquamarine

 She's such a middle class mermaid

She shops in Ocean and aquarium tanks

She thanks

Her postman for the letters from the blue lagoon

And swims into the underwater banks


Now I saw you had dated her too

She lost a few of her scales to you

With me I think she piled on the pounds

But in the end she was landed by a fisherman from France


Whatever became of her famous tail?

It glimmered in the sun, and in the

Fish market sale

When I asked the fishmonger to remove

Tail and the head, 

I think he must have misunderstood what I said

Because now my mermaid is dead


She was a middle class mermaid

From the blue lagoon

But she hadn't been back there in a blue moon

She had a mum and dad, and a sister too

Who was so jealous she could swim

With the Penguins at the zoo


Well I loved her then,

And she became my wife

But I never did know how she would change my life

You she told me once the sea was waving at me

But I never realized this meant she wanted to be free


And I stole away in a yellow submarine

To track her down, the Queen of Aquamarine

Then I saw she'd found her promised land

Down beneath the waves in the arms of Aquaman


Well she was middleclass mermaid

With the sea breeze hair, that blew with fresh mint

Smell in the air

And her toothpaste soul, it was so clean

That beautful girl, the Queen of the Aquamarine

No comments:

Post a Comment