Poetry

Sunday 27 September 2020

Laughing at bricks

 I'm going on holiday

A holiday in the car park

Well I know that crime doesn't pay

But a supermarket trolley can make a good lark

I sit in it and I joy ride

All through the parking bays

My friends hitch me up to the bumper of a truck

And Whoa! away we go


Sometimes I wonder about sunlight

If it is real or just in my dreams

Is it something I can touch

Is it a malleable thing?

If I put it in my fridge at night

Will it light up my Spring beans

Oh sometimes I wonder about sunlight

And what on earth it all means!


Sometimes I like to lay bricks

I like to sit and set stones

It gives me enormous satisfaction

To know that they all have a home

And that each is interlocking

Or can make a good path

Or it could be that they are all joking

And it takes a good brick to make me laugh


A cobble stone is not well known

One looks just like another

To be a famous cobble, you must be shined to a nobble

Like an elbow after a wrestle with a long-kneed giraffe

Oh but nothing can bend me over double

Nor give me a stitch in my carf

No nothing can make my knees wobble

Quite like brick can make me laugh


Sometimes I just have to see it sitting in the corner of a house

And I think to myself what a predicament, 

to be stuck firm as cheese block in the mouth of a mouse

Or like a crack (craic) in a pavement

No nothing can start the joggle of

The old jelly roll or make my belly toll

Like a church bell rung by an April fool

Or split my sides quite in half

Quite like a good brick can make me laugh

No comments:

Post a Comment