Poetry

Friday 25 September 2020

Boogie Bay

 Jezebelle the nun she cooks the books

She looks down the rifle sight

At words in her book

And each letter is like a light

She forgets to remember to write

When they come in the night

To seek out her quarters


And I have missed my train

I have kissed the rain

I have handed over my money

In the short haul plane

And they are tying on my parachute

So I may fall again

Now I hope 

That I land on my feet like a cat

And not head first into pain


The boogie nights

Of silent street

Rolling days of hilly sleep

That are gained in increments

Like slow orchestral movements


Let me take you to Boogie bay

And the starving

Staple of stolen care

Let me take you to boogie bay

We'll run our own kettle shop

And shine shoes there

We'll perform brain surgery

And give you a new heart

They'll take away your kidneys

And replace them with kid art


They'll shave your Jerico

And topple your Jeronimo

And Domino your diamonds

Through doorways in the dark

They'll break the crust of parkland

In a following


And their dialectics will make you fall apart

In dialogues eclectic, or electric like her smart

She'll click her fingers

Yes she will, she'll hurl you

From the apple cart

And stake a claim in corruptibles

Like a razor blade dart

And shore enough the sea will scoff

At all your glimmering jewels

She'll roll them til their edges scuff

And shine them like your shoes


So let me take you to boogie bay

Where the whales have the time

And they keep it in their tails

Where the mermaids do recline

And fat and folding sailors who

Have spent too long on land

Will look out of their sea side windows

And begin to make their plans


Let me take you to boogie bay

It cannot be more than a day away

And we will score our good time there

And we will hold aloft a flame

And flax and flecks

And shocks of seals will still be making play

When we go down hand in hand

To the sands of Boogie Bay

No comments:

Post a Comment