Poetry

Saturday 5 September 2020

The rise and fall of the clown

 He was so high

As high as a clown

But from being so far up

The only way is down


And he slipped on miss buttercup

And a banana skin on the ground

And he fell from the trapeze

And caught the disease of the drowned


Don't you tell me he didn't love the highs and lows

As he swung through the crowd

On his finger tips he did go

Tip toeing like a ballerina

Then growling like a bear

Ferocious as a Hyena

Then as sweet as a lover's care


Oh he had the crowd in the palm of his hand

They were lapping it up

They were begging for more

And he kept them titilated on the edge of their seats

He was hansel, then Gretel,

Then the old witch with the sweets

He led them up the garden path

And they were baying at the door

Howling like the Hungry wolf

Who cries out for her lair

And just when they felt they'd had enough

He let his act fall

He played his hand like a maestro stands

As the audience applauds


But that was all then he thought

Now nothing's like before

Now I am in Neverland

And they've gone and closed the stable door

My horse has bolted

And I forgot to climb on board

It will all go unnoticed

Like a shadow in a darkened land

I am abandoned and forlorn

I call out to the prairie and

A lone coyote answers my call

And I am left singing kareoke stanzas

To my shadow on the wall


No comments:

Post a Comment