Poetry

Thursday 24 September 2020

Still frames

 It was as I suspected the just desserts have been served

They let the cat out the bag

And the donkey in the manger

The roller disco, rollercoaster 

Of storytime is over

And its now the darkness of dusk

Creeping in

The shadows are falling all around the garden

And bathwater runs down the drain

Sirens are calling

Down streets never ending

In a heat that is lending

Confusion to a maze

But now the temperatures is dropping 

And the giant is returning back up the stairs

To his castle keep


The eagle's nest

Where they hatch the eggs

Of unrealism, in surrealist

Dadaeist jest

And floating along with Barbie 

In a parachute who falls

And floats in a kaleidoscopic test

I can see the television crews leading out their cables

Diners sitting down to tables,

Turning lights out


The call of the outside,

Some humming engines

Some slippery scudding of shoes

Some where a boar is snuffling a truffle

And somewhere a deer is bounding


I see the frame like a distant memory

Like a slow train coming

Round the mountain again

And I'm on the platform

Thinking I can remember you

Feeling all the hope falling through my fingers

Watching the rain water run down the drain


It is cold on the mountain, and lights are barely burning

But I must be strong to remember my name

And I think I answered all of your questions

But the one that lingers is why I snuffed out our flame

No comments:

Post a Comment