Poetry

Tuesday 31 March 2020

COVID 13- homeless man

I am a homeless man I get no news
But someone told me the PM said to stay home
So I am amused,
I've got no home to begin with man
Self-isolate?
I've already tried it, for more years than I would care to remember
Or can
No I'm a homeless man the street is my home,
Or forest near the gritty city,
Where I can look down on all that pretty sight
I'm a king in my arborial home
On my tree stump home in a little grotto of vines
On the side of the hill is where I reside

Oh but my brothers they bother me, they say come to my church return inside
But I'm afraid, so afraid of being indoors
What the virus has no worse fate for me than the claustrophobic clause
I sign no rental agreement
I'm beholden unto no man
The shop doorways are my bedsteads
And since they are all closed
I'm free to lie in peacefully
Without the morning drone of traffic or some shop keeper
With a broom sweeping me onto the pavement

The only thing you have to be worried about is the cops though
Since they made it illegal to be homeless, I became a criminal overnight
Still the food banks are still open
Or so I thought, when I went down there yesterday there was nought,
Panic buying the kind lady says,
There's not enough supplies in the supermarket
And no body can afford to give
So you see that is life on the thin end of the wedge
But I don't know what else I'll do, its a way of life
This living on a knife edge

No comments:

Post a Comment