Poetry

Monday 30 March 2020

COVID 8 -The Old Woman

I am an old woman now,
I know I don't have long to live,
I've been walking up this cobbled road
All my life, I even feel like I am one of these cobbles
Rounded and worn down by life and its wheels
Worn to a shine, down to my essence
But still hard
Yet this thing that comes on the wind makes me afraid
Makes others like me too,
People I have known all my life cross over to avoid me,
And I feel cold now and alone
I draw my shawl up over my head and face to conceal my mouth
Only my eyes see out
Oh in my eyes I could be young, I have hope and joy at life
My life is worth no less than theirs because they are young
I still cling to life, or perhaps it clings to me
This Corona Virus is not the worst thing I have seen
I've lived through the war
Humanity has been through tough times
And it will come through, though
Not everyone will make it
I doubt I shall, but I cling on

It is ten in the morning and I am making my way out
To do my shopping in a small town on the outskirts of Rome
You used hear the buzz and hum of the city machinery cars and all sorts
Going on, this was rush hour, busy business time
Now it is just us old foggies who are allowed out to do our shopping

I go in the shop with some trepidation,
The shop assistants turn around masks cover their visages, like some muslim women I think concealing their beauty, just their eyes, but they are welcoming enough, a little haggard in their carriage perhaps
Just then an old man brushes against me, out of the way he says
No manners I think, but then I notice they are all at it reaching up here there and everywhere
for to grab and buy, the shelves are clearing out
I try not to panic - stay calm I tell myself, just breath and walk,
I slowly advance trying my best to avoid the crazy actions of other customers,
An old woman is freaking out screaming at her husband to get this and that and hurry up about it

Half an hour later I stagger out of the swelter, of moist breath
Warm shop atmosphere
And breathe clear air, fresh air, I don't know
But I am on my own now
At last, squirrel scurries up into a tree
Self-isolating too? Nature has that down to a T
But what of me? I give a little cough
A bystander takes a side step away
And I can't feel sorry for myself
I'm too old for that I say, almost out loud
I walk on along the cobbled road
Pass the one way sign
That says wrong way
Turn back

No comments:

Post a Comment