Poetry

Tuesday 31 March 2020

COVID 11 -The doctor

I am a doctor doing my rounds
On the Corona virus ground
In the infectious diseases ward
Its early morning when I get there
I smile and say hello to the cleaner
They have been keeping hygiene at a premium
I ask her are you afraid at all,
She leans against a wall
And says I have a job to do its all the same
We are all in this together, the managers can deal
With every eventuality
Then she just picks up her mop, gets on with her job,
And then she stops, and says I mean, I do this for my family

I walk into the staff room where the nurses are chatting
There is a buzz of excitement as they hear the news
There is another announcement, by the Minister for Health
In the government
We are going to give the NHS all the help it needs, he says
What with the ventilators, the face masks, we are facilitators
We're going to curb the impact on hospitals
Yes there will be a rise in cases, its up two hundred two days later
Now everyone must stay in side

The staff they all look hopeful, and they think
The ward will cope when full, but remember days
Under foreign skies, and the jubilance will be gone
I predict in two weeks to come, by which time
We will be believe no more politicians lies

Already the hospital has ordered masks from the government
And ventilators are being put on trial,
But I have little faith in official promises
I need real world solutions, if they are going to bring them
Let it be now
Already patients are dying, and carriers are crying
Our nurses are fighting on the frontline
And where is their protection
Ok we are used to working with infection
But we see the most severe cases then go back to our home lives
Where our partners are home looking after the children
Because they are off from school
But I don't know if I'm infecting them all
Just the same
There needs to be more rigorous testing
And for people to keep in isolation
Only then it seems we will stand a chance to stay alive

While I wash my hands I count the seconds sing the song twice - Happy Birthday
Well I prefer Gloria Gaynor's version I will survive

No comments:

Post a Comment