Poetry

Monday 30 March 2020

COVID 6 - The Virus containment team member 9 Wuhan

Its like the black death
Bring out your dead, they call, they call,
I'm in a bright yellow hazmat overall
Face mask covers me
Its been 5 days since the outbreak
So many people crying from behind walls
Wailling
Like the sirens of the ambulances through the day
Police sirens at night keeping angry mobs at bay
But we trust in our government - there is a strict
Chain of command, I do my job
I'm my bosses right hand,
He is his boss's all the way to the top
The Chairman stands untouchable above them all

He is God, this virus can't touch him
But what if it was sent by God to punish us for our sins?
What if? What if? That's crazy talk head down just do my job
No time to talk, "Bring out your dead" they cry again
I knock on the door of the nearest house
Ministry of Public Health to investigate Madam
May we come?
We go in any way, it is a scene of decay
She has hardly slept, only wept
Her baby lies still in the throes of death
Her husband is blue, vomiting in the corner
Lock it down I shout, and call the coroner
Coroner he says back don't you mean Corona?
I say ' You are sick Mr Chan for the sake of your wife and daughter
Come with me now
He follows me out like a walking Zombie
This is Zombie town, or it will be in about 24 hrs
There's no way out, half of them will get it, maybe me too
Oh Mother Oh chairman, what am I to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment