Poetry

Monday 25 July 2022

This summer sun

 I recall the sun before it went down

Burning brightest

Like a jewel in the crown

I recall the orchard, and the Bristol Down

Oh the Summer sun, just before it goes down


And all the memories of forgotten elephants

Who sit in rooms

Trying to remember

And yet they have nothing to regret

No there's nothing to regret

When you can forget


I remember dances

And halls

By the sea

And taking chances

Like glances of infinity

And in those eyes that seem to stretch

On to forever

I got lost in eternity

Oh now I can remember


And certain sun's faces

And glances in halves

The King or the aces

Turn up like the cards

And I can remember

I took a gamble on you

Your eyes were the dice

And you rolled them true


Double sixes a pair

Of diamonds shone true

Oh I can remember

The chance taken on you

Yes I'll never play that hand again

Not the same anyway

The tables have turned

The players gone away


And I have learned

To remember it's true

That the sun will burn brighter

When the days nearly through

For there's nothing but living

And loving to do

So come hug me tighter

For I'm swimming to you

No comments:

Post a Comment