Poetry

Saturday 2 July 2022

Like a ball and chain

 Like a ball and chain

I keep carrying you around

Oh is it all in vain

That I take you with me 

Through the wind and rain

Oh like a ball and chain

You keeping knocking on my door

Keep knocking on my brain

I try to let you go but

In the end my friend

You know we're

Tied together like a ball and chain


I look left and you swing right

I invite a guest you say stay the night

I think you're mean, but you don't think I'm right

I haul you over the coals by the firelight

And if we can be examined, and it all proves profane

well we'll be standing at our trial like a ball and chain


Only you can set me free

I have the lock but you have the key

Come on now release us from this awful plight

If I am your ball tomorrow, you'll be my chain tonight

Just raise the hammer and strike against the steel

You know it isn't any wonder, to feel the way I feel

You cannot hear the thunder or see the lightning bolts reveal

The world ablaze, and cast asunder as at the turning of a wheel

Well turn it, drive it yonder across the harvest field

We'll collect the pieces fonder that fall like heaven's zeal

And I am left to ponder this shame over my pain

But it isn't any wonder when we're like a ball and chain 

No comments:

Post a Comment