Poetry

Monday 11 November 2019

Farewell the steely time

Oh for that steely time
I have no words
For your love
Dragons spit
And Fire hails
I've a hand full of diamonds
And a gut of nails
So good bye to that steely time

The mines are full of blinking jewels
And my eyes see only gold
Where others see just fools

The dust and sound of a million souls
Is rushing down my throat
And I am that mineshaft
My blinkered mind is coal
And they will keep a hammering
Until they take control

So farewell, farewell that steel town
Farewell to rush of gold
The picks and forks
Of Sticks and forts
And tin soldiers in consorts
The iron bells
That ring their knells
Inside my lonely thoughts
Iv'e been down to the pit's dark well
And I've come up with noughts

So good bye, farewell
To that iron town
To the mud brown
Red Ore
I've flown the flag
For the Pit man
But I'll fly it high no more
In every crease
A greasy fleece
Is hung like from the lamb of gold
But all I see of the pit's prison cell
Is the false idols
Being sold

Good bye, good bye the steel time
Good bye the salesman
He's come to my home
With his comb
pushed through his black hair gelled
And he's selled my lovely tomb
Spent five months worth of wages
So I could afford my grave
Now since the stock market fell
I'll be buried in hell
Because I forgot to save

Well they hear my cry of freedom
And they hear my yell of assault
And every last man sees them
Seasoned in sea salt
Because my wound is bleedin'
Into the dust filled skies
With a whirlwind in my pocket and
A black look in my eyes

So farewell, farewell the steel
Farewell them steel skies
Blood oath on the feelin'
Down in the earth where she dies
And I know there is no reason
But it comes as no surprise
That the one road on which I've been reelin
Has lead to the dead look in my eyes

No comments:

Post a Comment