Poetry

Monday 4 November 2019

Tell me the names of love

What do you call it
Oh thingy you know
The the one with the black and yellow ribbon
Its driven in gold
Its a golden calf or Trojan horse
Or a microlite, a virus
Or is it a magical force

Its that thing on the tip of your tongue
The blood that drips from your ceiling when you are on your own
Reminding you of the skeleton you
Left buried in your closet
Or the corpse that keeps on giving everyone
Its own embodiment

Its that case of champagne you import
Thats cost you more in duty 
Than the Queen's winning horse
That she bet on Mr Nobody
On love's end
On Jezebel
On shower at the exit
Don't forget to Ring the bell
Its that word you must recall
I cannot say resell
Of course its a puffball
Like at level of a cell
I mean every body is at it
They're shouting down the street

Come on just stand up pout abit
The cockrel crows
And we all must meet
Some of them are cowards
And walk towards the heat
But then they run away again
When they smell the burning of their meat
They say is it hot in hear or is it hell?
Is it Her I'm inching beneath
In my slithering swell?
Is it Her or She whose heel is on my back
Is it she who rocked my cradle
And then put me on this wrack?

Is it four feet under
Or eleven fathoms deep
And can you still see Eden
Through a hole in your seat?

What of all these names for something none of us need
Or bleed
Yet if like some puritanical preacher
I suppose I am your teacher
And tell you it does not exist
Only flavours of a drifting sky only
THe dye cast in the eye
That makes them swell and run
I should say they know 
No better that blind spots on the sun

What when the light is behind me
My shadow's cast is long
Then all who care to mind me
Wile be treading upon someone
I am my shadow
He is me
And all these naughts and crosses
Merely games by which he sees
The one
As perchance the inventor is playing
Some games
With all of these
Names 
of love in a song
Songs of endearment, sweet heart

The whole world is fighting
Fighting fighting
The whole world fights

Give me all this love
The right the wrong
All the above
Fill not my world with hate
The world screws down on me
I leave through a side gate
I know I'm no Charles atlas
And John the Baptist 
Can carry my weight
They want my head on a silver platter
What's the matter with this world?
It got sold they say
But not everything that glitters is gold
Today like tomorrow 
Will be the same old sorrow
But I need the strength to swallow
And keep moving on

No comments:

Post a Comment