Poetry

Sunday 10 November 2019

Transubstantiation Road

The lay-bys are filled with ladyboys
And the car parks are filled with Carmens
Next to it is Elektra
Who is fixing the electricity substations

In Transubstantiation road
Jesus is running the pig market
And we are all on his rig
Every hook he hangs up in his stall
Has another carcass on it

The meaning in the tides is seen
By a fairy queen who grows
Cannabis and runner beans
On Transsubstantiation road

But each of us is merciful
Show me the pardoned man
He comes to us with his hands clean
And leaves in a caravan

In the wheel barrow he brings
Norse Gods filled with snow
And books on many catastrophies
That he says we ought to know

I leave them in my pockets
Until the bedbugs begin to bite
Then I fill my socks with all the words
That I want to write

The hotel is on the corner
Older than a cigarette
And its been burning the midnight oil
Since Romeo snubbed Juliette

The fastness of the street cars
Is a problem for the pets
Who howl both day and day
about the landless suffragettes

A snooker queue for the toilets
Is lined up black and white
And then the Pink knocked in the hole
The red and yellow over night

You wouldn't think it mattered but
There must be order to the game
And if there's not then Transubstantiation road
Should be given another name

I asked again for clarity from the Judge who
Heard my case
He said nails are sold in charity
By the Angels who run the race

And then he raised his gavel
And let the hammer fall
I was pinned like poster criminal
Against the courthouse wall

Let me out this prison cell
I need some worldy rest
Take me back to Arizona
Let me see and feel the Mid-West

I've been inking up my promises
In a garden of good intent
But all my stepping stones lead back
To the room I decide to rent

And it wouldn't be quite so bad
If the rain was heaven sent
But the King has built his castle here
And he's awaiting the day of judgement

I see him in the garden too
Sweeping up the leaves
He used to be a famous stuntman
On the film sets for the crew

But since then they've moved the scenery
And cast another scene
And he is left acting out the action sequence
of a plot that's a has-been

I know it's not a life for me
But still I wrestle with her ghost
You see she comes to me
In the hours when I need her most

And this road is full of souls
Who used to live in fame
Its just now when they lay down their flowers
Nobody remembers their name

And beautiful young maidens dance
In silence through the fields
And the cameramen roll on for hours
Because of the aesthetic appeal

But some little old lady
Stares over her crooked nose
And shouts about love and despair
And the Emperors new clothes

Because change is like a stranger
Who everybody sees but nobody knows
As he's walking handing out his flowers
Down Transubstantiation road




No comments:

Post a Comment