Poetry

Saturday 22 April 2023

Autumn love

The salt came up like a wave in the mouth
The river of tears always did flow south
And the bitterness of years
Bit the lip of what I couched
In kind words in soft skin of the apologist's pouch

And the time for regrets has come to pass
Nothing more to forget than the what's in the looking glass
The sound of nothing, the rush of air
From a vacuum to the vacuum of an utter despair

I wish I had held autumn and kept the fire kindled
I wish I had stood near the fire as the daylight dwindled
But I was fool enough to be self swindled
I stole the time I killed the calf who had been saved and brindled


All the sales of hearts came washing in the rivers warmth
Like an assault of the senses via the folk of

I held autumn like an air
Of a cloak of understanding
Putting it on as one does a glove
To feel the warmth
Or touch of the velvet
And sinking into that
Autumn of love
In which leaves fall from
Winter wind chilled trees
And she like an autumn
Garden I have visited
Whose secret is safely hidden
Though I must search to find the key
Lies in wait at her gate
In the comfort of the dying
Of the year to greet me
Like a changing season

No comments:

Post a Comment