Poetry

Saturday 8 April 2023

Birthday bash

 There was once a birthday

I did attend

By accident

Though it was for a friend

I stepped into the dragon's den

And found myself alone again


Surrounded by my seeming foes

I came at once to bloody blows

And all about a birthday brunch

I found the dinner packed a punch

It was I saw my friend

For twenty years our paths have wend

But winding up or winding down

Neither thought to live in lonely town


Her brother of whom I took a dislike

Had modelled himself upon a Great Tyke

But whether Nero, Romulus or Remus in Rome

Not more a blood thirsty Emperor was he at home

Yet ruled his kingdom beyond his walls

Into the invited friend's birthday halls


As I walked in to join the banquet

He offered me pork in unleven blanket

But I felt sick and refused his offer

Yet he took not kindly to his rejected proffer

He became like a bull, bullish domineering

Like the house party he must be steering

And even once came to stand over me

As if to bring to bear his supreme authority 


I thought what skill what unbridled devotion

Have these loving parents with careless emotion

Brought up a son so confused in mind

That he sees not where he is going as if quite blind

Instead of modelled on Christ the redeemer

He has chosen as his model Trump the ill-seemer


How can such passionate evangelists

Bring into the world such an antagonist?

They could write stories of his follies

For when he comes it never rains but pours on brollies

And held up as if on plinths of stone

He stands there sinless as if Ozymandius alone


Yet what I see are the marks of treachery

Gains by stealing and by vice

He has wheedled his way into paradise

And shut the gates upon his brothers

And thrown down hate upon his mothers

Women he treats as slaves or worse

His blinded pride will be his curse

As Lucifer stepped so stepped he

Onto the path of iniquity 

And a fall surely will follow his pride

As unfortunate damsel his bride

Then the tower of Babel will topple

And collapse upon his sinning people


But what of me, oh me oh my

The I, the id of jealousy

Am I he? Is he I? 

The tepid stream runs dry

If only I could respect my enemy

And show those who transgress

My full Christian forgiveness

For in that act, I'm sure there'd be

An end to all hostility

And road and rage would not rise

Emotion flows and ebbs like tide

And the sun's heat will hot heads fry

Unless in shade some shelter try


I saw the old are replaced by the young

And in such usurpment one must be strong

But holding breath and swimming long

Can no more impress than old Babylon

No comments:

Post a Comment