Poetry

Monday, 5 October 2026

Labyrinth

 I'm lying in the nettles again

And the land is a shining key

The summer it's nearly over my friend

No room for apology


The sand in your hair falls softly

And I can't bear the doom

I could have shot the marauding bear

But there was an elephant in my room


Hold me in the wooden stare

The machine is coveting me

When they wrote the ten commandments

They never left space for ai technology


There's always someone up

There's always someone down

If I shoot you a cup

Of Newcastle ale brown


Fixated on the stars

My head is stuck in bars

And towns

You can drown in machines

And the fears of mediocracy


There's a limit to lip service

But somebody must pay the bill

When you say that all that works these days

Is the mantra kindness kills


I've waited for a high priestess to tell me how to feel

But it's not as if I didn't know myself

I just never trust myself at the wheel


And you can be driven nearly mad 

If you listen to all the voices

It's not as if I never had

Control or made my choices


I wish I had explained my dad 

Was a ghost in my mother's memory

I always felt I owed her something

More than just an immigrant in her country


there's a fasting of the hands

There's a lasting in the legs

There's a step that turns out sad

So I must remember to leave a peg


And not go down that same maze

Where the minotaur snores

It would be easier with a ball of thread

To walk past all these open doors


The river it is an image

In an electric company's dream

someone's always trying to write their name

In your consciousness stream


Even El Nino

Is a marching wind

And the band will play their pipes

When they have the mind


No comments:

Post a Comment